Looking Back at 2014: The Biggest Mobile News and Trends

Looking Back at 2014: The Biggest Mobile News and Trends
With each New Year, we reflect and resolve. We take what we’ve learned and use it to make better decisions that will benefit us. The same goes for mobile tech. It’s come a long way over the years, but it’s still evolving. And so is your event. Whether you’re just beginning to use mobile tech at your events or you’ve had a mobile event app for a ...

With each New Year, we reflect and resolve. We take what we’ve learned and use it to make better decisions that will benefit us. The same goes for mobile tech. It’s come a long way over the years, but it’s still evolving. And so is your event. Whether you’re just beginning to use mobile tech at your events or you’ve had a mobile event app for a few years, there’s always more to learn. So let’s take a look back at some of the big mobile news and stats of 2014 that could propel your event forward in 2015.

  1. Mobile and digital had incredible growth. It’s estimated that mobile brought in over $32 billion globally this year, outpacing the combined newspaper, magazine, and radio spend in the U.S. – eMarketer
  2. Mobile drives revenue. 85% of Twitter’s revenue came from mobile during the third quarter this year.
  3. Mobile device use continues to soar. It was up 40% this holiday season. – IBM Digital Analytics Benchmarks
  4. Smartphones take over the world. Smartphones now account for 2/3 of the world’s mobile-phone market. – IDC
  5. Mobile is everything. 85% of smartphone users would rather give up drinking water than delete their mobile apps. – Apigee
  6. iBeacons gain more attention. No longer just a buzz word, iBeacons are beginning to catch on as more companies use them successfully. One study showed that interactions with advertised products increased by 19x for users who received a beacon message. – InMarket
  7. Location sharing is valuable. 76% of users agree that location sharing provides more meaningful content. – ExactTarget
  8. Mobile app usage goes up. Web usage goes down. While using their smartphones, people spend 86% of that time with apps; the other 14% is spent on the web.
  9. More people use apps to access the Internet. Last January, 47% of Internet traffic came from apps and 8% came from mobile browsers. – comScore
  10. Smartphones continue to evolve. Apple iOS 8 and Google Android 5.0 released—along with new, bigger phones like iPhone 6, Google Nexus 6, and Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
  11. Mobile messaging is popular. Last February, Facebook bought Whatsapp for $16 billion and made Messenger its own app.
  12. Wearable technology is the future. Who's excited for the Apple Watch? Smart glasses, smart watches, and fitness bands were expected to generate nearly $3 billion in 2014. And when asked which personal devices people could not live without, wearable tech devices ranked higher than Kindles, iPods, and video game consoles. – CMO  
  13. Mobile payment is picking up. Google Wallet has been out since 2011, but the launch of Apple Pay in 2014 is the reason for mobile payments going mainstream. Since Apple Pay came out, companies like Walgreens have said its mobile payments have doubled.
  14. Mobile is the first screen. Nileem Jani, Director of Consumer Insight for Verizon Wireless, said: “If 52% of people saying mobile is their first screen isn’t enough to show that mobile is important, I don’t know what is.”
  15. Custom-built enterprise apps had explosive growth. Custom mobile app activations grew 731% between Q3 2013 and Q3 2014. – Good Technology Mobility Index Report

How did you use mobile tech for your events in 2014? And how will your mobile strategy change in 2015? 

Source: blog.cvent.com